Protection of Personal Information
POPI refers to South Africa’s Protection of Personal Information Bill which seeks to regulate the Processing of Personal Information.
Personal Information broadly means any information relating to an identifiable, living natural person or juristic person (companies, CC’s etc.) and includes, but is not limited to:
- Contact details: email, telephone, address etc.
- Demographic information: age, sex, race, birth date, ethnicity etc.
- History: employment, financial, educational, criminal, medical history
- Biometric information: blood type etc.
- Opinions of and about the person
- Private correspondence etc.
Processing means broadly anything done with the Personal Information, including collection, usage, storage, dissemination, modification or destruction (whether such processing is automated or not).
Some of the obligations under POPI are to:
- Only collect information that you need for a specific purpose
- Apply reasonable security measures to protect it
- Ensure it is relevant and up to date
- Only hold as much as you need, and only for as long as you need it
- Allow the subject of the information to see it upon request
PSIberLite takes all reasonable measures to protect your Personal Information and to keep it confidential. Personal information refers to information that identifies or relates specifically to you, for example, your name, age, gender, identity number and your email address. In short, any information that we know about you will be regarded as your Personal Information. Whenever you make use of our Payroll service, complete an application form, contact us electronically, or use one of the services or facilities offered by us, we will collect your personal information. The information we maintain concerning our clients is stored in databases that have built-in safeguards to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of that information.
PSIberLite accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss, damage (whether direct, indirect, special or consequential) and/or expenses of any nature whatsoever, which may be suffered as a result of or which may be attributable, directly or indirectly, from information made available on these pages or links, and actions or transaction resulting there from.